August 12, 2011

Lisa and Mitch Wedding!



Hello!

Two weddings in a row-oh my!

This cake was for a friend of mines sister's wedding! Lisa and Mitch Springer were wed at a small, BEAUTIFUL banquet hall on the water in Batavia, IL.
This event was a very different one for me, because I was there the entire time. Lisa and Mitch invited me to the wedding and I got to bare witness everyone enjoying the cake-what a great feeling. WEIRD, but great.
Did I mention this wedding was beautiful?

The cake was to be very simple, and 'nature' themed, as the entire ceremony and reception was. The focus color was sage green, so we went with a very simple vine and sage green leaf design wrapping around the three tiers of the cake.
Ran in to a small issue with the board! Lisa and Mitch liked the idea of having an actual piece of wood underneath the cake. I have seen this quite a few times but underestimated the complexity of actually getting a piece of wood of the right size. After ordering what I thought would be a perfect round piece of a tree trunk online, I felt completely at ease and waited for it to come in the mail. a week before the wedding, and I get this tiny, OVAL piece of wood that looked nothing like what I ordered.
After hyperventilating and frantically calling every lumber yard in the Chicago area with no success, I emailed Lisa with some new ideas. Thankfully she was not upset with the mishap at all and we moved to the decision of marbling fondant to look like wood grain, and covering a simple cake drum with it. Phew!

We had discussed different types of butter creams, as the groom did not like the very American style cream that is very heavy and overly sweet. This being that traditional American butter cream is the simple butter whipped with powdered sugar and milk.
I assured them I would make a lighter butter cream-Italian-that is used widely in the industry because of it's stability and airy texture. It is made by whipping a meringue with sugar cooked to a very high temperature. After it's cooled quite a bit, it is then whipped with butter and flavorings.

The cake was three tiers of buttermilk marble cake, and a vanilla bean Italian butter cream filling. Everything was iced with the same butter cream and adorned with the light brown vines and sage green leaves.
I absolutely loved the porcelain topper. Lisa had seen it featured on another cake online and ordered it immediately.

Another fun cake, and a great wedding.
Congrats Lisa and Mitch!


Till next time!

No comments: