March 28, 2011

Tree of Life 60th Birthday Cake!













This week I did a cake for a returning client of mine-Belinda Silber. She was having a big party for her 60th birthday, and wanted a 'tree of life' themed cake for the event. She wanted A LOT of information on this cake, and for good reason! It was really important to her to have something that was very personal.
After skimming through the emails with details of each decade of her life, I picked out some highlights and decided to go with 5 plaques surrounding the bottom tier, each designed after a different decade. The one in the front represented the 70's for example... where she enjoyed the disco generation for a while, I put a disco floor background. She moved to chicago, and had her son Byron, so I put his name in baby blocks. The 60's were very important to her. She was heavily involved in the civil rights movement, loved Motown, and the British invasion, among many other things.
She listed over a dozen AMAZING places that she's gotten the chance to visit. Instead of going crazy with all of them, I decided to just depict an African sunset theme on the top tier--as this was a highlight for her. The topper is the tree with the running vines down the cake, and her two cats--who are returning characters from a previous cake I made for her husband last year. A little arrow sign with 'happy birthday' slapped on and the cake is finito. :o]

It was hard not to make the cake really busy, so i tried to make every detail as simple as possible. I was nervous that this would be a flaw for my client, but I couldn't have asked for a better reaction. She balled for a good five minutes running around the cake and pointing out every little detail. She was so happy, and so naturally-I was ecstatic.


All in all, a really good week. Another fun cake, can't wait for the next one. Happy Birthday, Belinda!


Till next time,
Kim

No comments: