November 7, 2011

Lions, Macaws and Giraffes-Oh My!


These little guys were for a little guys birthday party! A returning client of mine wanted a cake to go along with the figurines, but with a crazy work schedule that week we had to work out a compromise and went with a collection of toppers that she could add to any cake she wished!
THIS is my favorite part of what I do... the small, over detailed, meticulous aspect of cake decorating. I tried not to go too detailed since they're so cartoon-y (and F.A.T), but for the life of me I could never call these guys finished without indenting and filling in their insignificant little ears. I could do this all day long. This little project reminded me of a cake I did a while back for a returning client of mine, where everything on it was little intricately decorated pieces on top of a simple background. It was an 8" cake covered in blue fondant and a white ribbon. Nothing crazy. Then I got to the top, where I happily spent two long nights making a little record player, hand painted books, a television with the "24" logo painted on it etc, etc... Man oh man, is that the bees knees.


Traditional wedding cakes are fun and all, but at the end of the day I'd love nothing more than to make a little super mario guy to put on top.


Till next time <3

No comments: